An open source audio-responsive VJ application that we (Joel Pitt, Kelly Cheesman, Will Marshall) have been building in Processing. This application uses a multitouch control surface to trigger videos, mask layers, control motion and capture live video. Visual inspiration came from a video by Kate Moross for SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO .
We wanted to to make sound-responsive shapes mask video in real-time.
We used Joel’s JazzMutant Lemur as a control interface (shiny awesomeness), as it supports OSC and has a built-in physics model, allowing us very hands-on control of our visuals.
- Four live camera feeds
- Preset patterns for the shapes
- OpenGL blending for layering video
- Beat detection
- Interface to select from a grid of videos
- Use of gifs as layer masks
July 2010 Maya
EXAMPLES[SinglePic not found]
Suggestions, contributions and pings welcome.
- Video controls:
- loop points
- scrubbing (manual frame control)
- Package media and make available for download
- Make all points respond to same frequency and allow frequency response to be configurable.
- Better presets which save frequency responses and size of points.
- Refactor demo mode so that each component has a doDemo method or something similar
- Make responses dependent on intensity (stop stuff going nuts when there is hardly any noise)
- Allow other backgrounds (GIFs, images, plain, colour)
- Add more point shapes and images.
- Add a PointMotion that makes things bounce up and down.
- Convert Rorshach into a PointArtist object
- Scale point size range to resolution of frame.